Welcome to the Umpqua Business Center! Our staff is here to assist you and your business in any way possible. This website has been created for your easy reference and review. We ask that you keep in mind the shared “community” nature of this business incubator facility. As always, we welcome your comments and suggestions.
To nurture aspiring entrepreneurs and start-up businesses by providing collaborative advisory, mentoring and technical assistance in a professional environment fostering economic vitality through job creation.
Small businesses employ over 50% of the American workforce; 78% of those small businesses have less than ten employees. Over half of those businesses are even smaller and have fewer than five employees. With a significant portion of the American labor force dependent on the success of small business, it is important to note that only 20% of all small businesses survive through the fifth year of operation. Most start-up businesses close within the first three years.
The successes of ‘business incubation’ bring to light some startling differences between start-up companies who are “going it alone” and those that have numerous resources that support their business. The incubator provides the latter. Nearly 80% of the businesses that graduate from an incubation program are self-sustaining through the fifth year of operation.
It is for this reason that the Umpqua Business Center program began. The overarching goal of the center is to help small businesses and aspiring entrepreneurs during their early years of development.
The goals of the UBC include:
- Provide affordable office space with flexible lease options for start-up businesses
- Establish a culture of entrepreneurism
- Increase new company survival rates by growing and graduating successful companies
- Provide access to financial counseling and resources that specialize in the funding of start-up businesses
- Provide classroom training and educational programs for participants and the general business community in both traditional and virtual formats
- Facilitate program participants’ access to a volunteer network of business and corporate executives who can mentor and help find solutions to challenges facing start-up businesses
- Assist communities in the surrounding region to understand how incubator programs benefit the local economy
The UBC Business Incubation Program provides a variety of services such as:
- Business development mentoring and advising including focuses on business and strategic planning, legal counsel, accounting/tax, human resources, government contracting, strategic partnerships, marketing and PR, financing, grant preparation, insurance and risk management,
- Access to experienced entrepreneurs,
- Access to market research, business plan/business pitch preparation coaching,
- Educational programs,
- Marketing & PR support,
- Networking opportunities with peer groups, area professionals, Umpqua Community College faculty and support organizations,
- Adaptable space and flexible leases,
- Shared reception, office equipment, conference and meeting rooms, and other support services.
- Provide client companies with access to experience and insight needed to create successful companies through relationships it has created with its network of experienced entrepreneurs, professional service providers, economic development partners, small business service providers, community college experts as well as a dedicated staff.